5 Ways to prep for an Engagement Photo Shoot
Congratulations, you are newly engaged! Once the question has been popped and you’ve celebrated the initial excitement of being an engaged couple, an engagement photo shoot can be a fun way to commemorate this exciting time in your life. These intimate photos are perfect to share with family and friends and will be great mementos to look back on for the rest of your life. To make sure the photos turn out perfectly, you’ll want to look your best! While half of that task is left up to the wonderful photographer you hire, the other half can be made or broken by your preparations. To help ensure that you look your best, follow these tips to preparing yourself for an engagement photo shoot:
- Be sure to schedule makeup trial before your photo session to get an idea of how it will look in photographs. Photos require more saturated makeup to avoid looking washed out and trying out a new look before the session will make you feel more comfortable when the big day comes. Tell your makeup artist if your skin tends to be oily or shiny so they can be sure to send you along with extra finishing powder for touch-ups throughout the session.
- Get a fresh manicure to accurately showcase your gorgeous new engagement ring. A lot of money and careful consideration went into the purchase of your bling, and you certainly want to show it off! Avoid chipped nails and over-the-top colors to give your ring the attention it deserves. A classic trend to abide by for photos is opting for a soft pink or other neutral color-based polish to make all cuts and colors of engagement rings The moral of the story here is less is more – you’ll look back on these photos forever and nothing can throw a ring photo off like a bad manicure.
- Leave other jewelry at home. It’s no secret that you will want your engagement ring to be the sole piece of jewelry featured, so try to keep other accessorizing at a minimum. Avoid hats and costume jewelry that could take away from the theme and feel of your photos. On the other hand, if you’re a more theatrical person, feel free to bring props along that speak to you and your partner’s personalities and relationship. From pets to hobbies, featuring something that means a lot to you will create memorable photos that you will look back on fondly for a long time.
- Don’t do anything new with your hair. You want to look like yourself in your engagement photos, so trying a new haircut or style out right before is risky. If you plan to have a long photo session, consider getting your hair professionally styled as it will stay better for a longer amount of time. Even once you get to the shoot, ask your photographer to do a “last look” shot and glance at the viewfinder so you can be sure you like the way your hair is placed as you’re sitting in front of the camera.
- Wear comfortable clothing. Since a lot of engagement photo sessions take place outdoors, choose to wear comfortable clothes that speak to your personality. When we say “comfortable”, we don’t necessarily mean house clothes, rather something that you feel your best and most yourself in. Because you’ll be in front of a camera, avoid crazy patterns and colors as they can draw attention away from the real subjects: you and your love! Even if your session takes place inside, consider choosing coordinating outfits so you look like you belong together. Ultimately, the most important thing is to ensure you feel and look like yourself and are accurately represented in these photos!
No matter what look you are going for in your photos, remember that personalization is key. From your makeup and clothing to location and props, you’ll want your photos to accurately represent this important stage in your life so you can look back fondly for the rest of your life!